June has been another one of the busy months, filled with projects and deadlines. Here’s a bit of what I’ve been up to:
- Directed and co-led ‘With One Voice’, the participatory vocal event that was part of the opening of the Melbourne International Jazz Festival at Federation Square
- Started the Culture Jamming project at Elsternwick Primary School. We are four sessions in and have completed our first field trip, meeting native Mandarin speakers the same age as the children, and recording our conversations with them.
- Put a bunch of proposals and applications in for a range of grant-making programs and touring programs.
- Had a long weekend out of town staying with friends at their farm in Jeparit (about 5 hours north). How beautiful it was to get away. Bright sunny days and cold frosty nights, and the sky filled with stars.
- Sunday 17 June saw the second of my workshop series at ArtPlay get under way. The New Music Express project was about transforming stories into short bursts of text, atmospheric musical textures and funky, chunky grooves.
- Attended the working group meeting for Arts Victoria’s Extended School Residencies program – I am the artist representative on the panel. We had a progress report on this year’s projects (which we had agreed to fund in our meeting the previous year), and confirmed plans for this year’s funding decisions.
- The last few weeks have also been filled with getting presentations ready for this year’s ISME conferences, held in Corfu (Community Music Seminar) and Thessaloniki (main conference) in July. I am flying out tomorrow and will be in Corfu by Saturday!
All this in addition to my regular primary school teaching! My radio interview on ABC Classic FM also went to air this month and was well-received – I have had some great feedback from it, and it was lovely to have my work featured in this way.